- Ah Pen and Fisher outside Ah Pen's hut
Two men sitting on their hunches - Fisher on left, Ah Pen right - in front of a bark roofed hut slab hut. There is a neat wall of firewood to the right of the hut with something, possibly fish, drying on it. Ah Pen does not look to the camera.
- Australia - Victoria - Creswick
- Interpretive description
Although the caption states this is Ah Pen he does look a little different in this photograph to the other portraits of him.
- Ah Pen and his hut, not far from Plantation gates
- Typed label on front: 'Ah Pen and his hut, not far from Plantation gates'. On back: 'Creswick. Ah Pen's hut in [Beens?] at entrance to State Nursery. Fisher on left, Ah Pen right'. Stamps on back: 'Creswick' and 'E.J. Semmens, Creswick'. No date, 11.5 x 16 cm.
E.J. Semmens collection, 76/33, 76/42, 77/42; University of Melbourne Archives. Details
- A Chinese humpy at Creswick c1890
- Published photograph
- Caption typed on print: 'Ah Pen and his hut, not far from the plantation gates'
Oddie, G., 'The Chinese in Victoria, 1870-1890', MA thesis, University of Melbourne, 1959. Details
In possession of Mr E.J. Semmens of Creswick
Created: 21 May 2004, Last modified: 8 June 2009